The Library Board of Trustees is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the Library, advising
on library planning policies, and is a representative of the community.
The Board is comprised of five (5) members, appointed by the Mayor for a five-year term (not to exceed
two consecutive terms).
- Adopt appropriate written policies to govern the operation and services of the Library.
- Secure adequate funding to carry out library programs and services.
- Adopt an annual budget.
- Custody and responsibility for all property of the Library, including the building.
- Become familiar with appropriate local and state laws; actively represent Library interests to the City
- Reflect community needs and interests when considering Library services and programs.
- Communicate information about Library programs, services and needs to the community.
- Attend all board meetings, workshops and training activities.
- Foster cooperation with other area libraries to maximize use of available resources.
- Maintain relationships with the Colville Library Improvement Club.
- Interest in public library services, in the community, and in the public library’s relationship to the
- Recognition of the public library’s importance as a center of information, of community culture,
continuing education, and recreation.
- Willingness to serve as an advocate for public libraries.
- Previous governing or advisory board experience.
- Open mindedness, intellectual curiosity, and respect for the opinions of others.
- Ability to work effectively with others; trustees, director, staff and the public.
- Ability to think critically in planning and problem solving.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to carry out the trusteeship responsibilities.
- Five-year commitment.
- Attend quarterly scheduled board meetings.
- Attend any scheduled briefings on services and programs, any special meetings.
- Read background materials sent prior to each meeting.
- Attend relevant continuing education functions, usually no more than one per year.
- Occasional attendance at community and library meetings and activities.
Adopted by the Colville Library Board of Trustees, November 7, 2001